Monday, August 9, 2010

Are you white collar and your wife blue collar, or vice versa? Does this cause communications issues?

I think my wife is more genuinely impressed when I do blue collar stuff, like fix the car or paint the house, as opposed to office stuff that earns me enough money to hire others to do the same. Likewise, she rarely seems impressed when I talk about how, through one of my white-collar gigs, I'll be turning a particular profit, angling for a promotion, etc., etc.





She seems dismissive of my own abilities if I hire others to do things around the house, and seems to think I can't handle such simple tasks, but I often do those things all the time, and that's how I paid my way through college, by doing handyman type stuff. But she's working class through and through.





Do you have trouble communicating work-related issues with your spouse because he/she is blue collar? (Or the reverse?)Are you white collar and your wife blue collar, or vice versa? Does this cause communications issues?
My husband graduated college with a degree in business, but then spent about 18 years driving a truck. Though he was white collar when I met him, he was blue collar throughout our marriage.


I went to college to become a teacher but never graduated. I always had ';white collar'; jobs. I only attempted a ';blue collar'; job once because it paid very well, but I failed miserably. In fact, to be nice, they laid me off instead of firing me. I don't think the blue collar vs. white collar caused the problems in our marriage, though. I was neither impressed nor turned on by my husband's handyman abilities or his business qualifications. I started out wanting him to be happy with whatever career he chose. I didn't expect his entire personality to change. I would have gladly shared and supported him with anything he did, truck driver, garbage collector, businessman, stockbroker, etc., and it wouldn't have mattered whether he did things around the house or we hired it out. The only thing I objected to was being treated badly and being deprived of happiness and freedom. Having said that, I think I would have been impressed with his business ability, which is what he went to school for, had he stayed with that. It's just that what I really wanted to be impressed with was how he could be a good husband and father.


Your wife does sound like she is very different to you in her work values. It must have been impressed on her when she was growing up that men have certain jobs they do which add to their value as men, and these do not include the kind of jobs where you don't get your hands dirty. It's hard for me to understand that kind of thinking as it is so foreign to me. It's like I can't understand not liking animals, and so on, but I know there are some people who feel that way. You and your wife will likely always have this barrier between you. She has no appreciation of your intellectual, creative side, just the physical side. I'm not saying she's not smart, but she either doesn't have much of an intellectual, creative side, herself, or she has a lack of confidence in that, and that is why she has trouble relating to you, and you have trouble relating to her in that aspect.Are you white collar and your wife blue collar, or vice versa? Does this cause communications issues?
No but his vocabulary is getting bigger and I never knew there were so many uses for duct tape and WD-40
Ha ha, I don't have that problem anymore, footloose and fancy free froggie :)
I'd be careful, she might be hanging on to one of those blue-collar shirts during the throes of passion.
I don't like collars.
Why would there be a communication problem? Blue collar does not automatically equate to uneducated or unintelligent. I've been a carpenter for 21 years and own a renovation company, as well as a real estate investment company. My girlfriend is the manager of an art gallery. We can communicate on an equal level. She is impressed when I do home improvements around the house (gut and remodel the kitchen is next!), but she's just as impressed when I talk about an investment property I'm looking at or a deal that's in the works. Just as I'm impressed when she tells me how she convinced some designer to buy $10,000 worth of art for their client's home.

No comments:

Post a Comment