Monday, August 9, 2010

Can some autistic parents help me with a survey?

I need some info for a school assignment....its on the functionality of a family with an autistic child. Primary info is needed. If you could, could you answer these questions in an email and send them to me? These will not be viewed by anyone but me. if you need my email it is timbo_alpha@yahoo.ca. I will thank you very much if you could. Here are the q's:





1) How old is your autistic child?


2)How do you communicate with your autistic child (example, verbally, though actions, picture cards ect.)


3)Does your autistic child have any siblings? If so, how does your child鈥檚 disability affect their siblings?


4)Are you married? Is so, how does autism affect your relationship with your spouse?


5) How does your autistic child affect your social life?


6) How often does your child have an autistic meltdown?


7) What was your reaction to the initial diagnosis?


8) How does having an autistic child affect your day-to-day life?


9)How does having an autistic child affect your entertainment life (example, seeing movies, playing games, getting out of the house, ect.)


10) If you could, would you cure your child鈥檚 autism? Why or why not?





Thank you very much.Can some autistic parents help me with a survey?
How 'bout I answer them here:





1. 5


2. Verbally.


3. No.


4. Yes. It definately puts a strain on our relationship. But at the same time, it's brought us closer.


5. He doesn't really affect my social life. My husband and I both are lucky enough to have parents that can watch him anytime we need to get out.


6. Everyday. Although it has gotten loads better since we started him on a strict herb/mineral/vitamin regimen.


7. I cried. Although I already knew it from just doing research on it myself. I cried all day.


8. Day-to-day is hectic. It takes twice and sometimes triple the time to get him ready to go to school in the morning. Thankfully, I have the best boss in the world, so if I need to take off to do something for/with my son, I can.


9. I think this is the same as question 5.


10. If I could cure it and he still be the same personality, definately! If it means it will turn him into a zombie, no. I don't want a boring child!Can some autistic parents help me with a survey?
If you contact the following e-mail address, you will find the help you are requesting. deb@dockeryfoundation.org
1) 7 years old


2) Verbally


3) No


4) Divorced. I think the difficulties in raising our child contributed.


5) Meeting people has become easier and more interesting-- confrontational in some cases. Now that I know what's going on with my child, I'm more willing to go out and seek help and advice instead of hiding and fearing how people might react to my child. Some people are very sympathetic and curious to know more about autism when I mention it. Others are dismissive and claim that much of it is voodoo science.


6) Once or twice a week prior to medication.


7) Relief. The diagnosis explained a lot about his behavior. It made me feel better about myself as a parent and realized that parts of my child's behavior were beyond his control.


8) Daily routines can be time consuming. Much of our time revolves around preparing for school and getting ready for bed.


9) Mixed. We've only seen a couple of movies at the theater. Outside games can be unsettling when being around kids who don't understand why my child seems different or weird to them.


10) Absolutely. I think my child's overall personality is wonderful and magnetic, but his condition gets in the way of letting others see just how great he is, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment