Monday, August 16, 2010

Is it normal to be offended when your bf/gf/spouse says they are worried about you?

I have seen this happen many times with other peope through the years but...





Most recently my bf has been sick and kind of sad for a whole week so I said I was worried and gave him a hug and he got annoyed and offended.





Did I do something wrong?


Am I just weird for thinking that this is actually a nice thing to say?





I grew up in a household where my parents were very set on teaching us how to speak. The are both brilliant linguists and as a result, I sometimes communicate in was that other people do not quite connect to.Is it normal to be offended when your bf/gf/spouse says they are worried about you?
I know you mean well, but it sounds kind of condescending. If that is all you said- yes it's offensive b/c you're not offering to help.If you said I'm worried about you and then said what can I do to help, it may have cut the comment so to speak.





It also depends on the relationship- but I'm assuming everything is well b/c he is your bf. For example, I have a hateful MIL who is passive aggressive in her interactions w/ me. To make herself look like a good and caring person (and in order to exert control b/c she is an extreme control freak), she makes snide and passive aggressive comments under the radar. Some of them are under the guise of 'caring'.





So if she were to say she was 'concerned' about me, I would know it's a load of bs and part of her facade to look 'caring'. This is a woman who told her son that she wanted him to divorce me. I have never had a problem with anyone else in my life ands get along great with everyone I meet.





But I know you meant well- just tell him that and that you're sorry.Is it normal to be offended when your bf/gf/spouse says they are worried about you?
That should not have annoyed or offended him, or anybody. Sounds like maybe there's something to his feeling ';sad';. Perhaps stress about something? Stress/anxiety can make people very irritable. Maybe the situation of being sick is enough to make him feel this way. But don't worry, I don't believe you did anything strange. What's strange was his reaction.
No, you did what any intelligent attuned girlfriend would do.... maybe he just doesnt know how to accept consideration.... whats his family life like... do they have care and concern for him? Maybe he feels like he has to man up around you... its hard to say, not enough information... however, you did nothing wrong.... I would do same..... you have nothing to feel weir or bad about :)
well if you ask him that all the time then he is probably getting aggravatied with it. My husband texts every 2 hours and if i dont reply within 2 minutes i get well i hope everything is ok gosh that gets so annoying
I can relate, I have a fabulous vocabulary...people get offended by things I say at times, even when I am sincere...





In this case, I find it hard to see any offense in what you've said, though.
I don't think it has anything to do with what you said. Men are babies when they are sick, and there's no telling how they are going to react.
You certainly did not do anything wrong. Your bf needs to work on his manners.
i dont get offended when someone asks me if i'm ok from being sick.. normal people get that you're worried and just want to show you care..


this man on the other hand,.. has issues

No comments:

Post a Comment